Marriage and Family
“Let your fountain be blessed, and rejoice in the wife of your youth, a lovely deer, a graceful doe. Let her breasts fill you at all times with delight; be intoxicated always in her love.” Proverbs 5:18-19
Sex is a hot topic in marriages today. It’s been a hot topic since the beginning of time. Sex is the one act of love that God gave to a husband and wife that they are supposed to do with each other and no one else. King Solomon was no stranger to sex. In fact, he had more wives than there are days in the year (ref 1 Kings 11:3). King Solomon was also no stranger to temptation and lust. That’s why he wrote so many proverbs on the pitfalls of immorality.
Do you ever catch your eyes wondering where they shouldn’t? I do. Did you know that allowing your eyes to continue wondering and looking freely will eventually ruin your sex life? Your eyes are one of the keys to your delights and passions.
The two verses above follow King Solomon’s strong warnings to stay away from the temptation to go after another woman. These two verses are a reminder to husbands that all our delight and passion needs to be for our wife.
The following list can be used for assessing how you are doing in delighting in your wife, or it can be simple a reminder of safeguards for intimacy in your marriage.
Five Areas to Consider (for delighting in my wife).
- My Eyes
- Have you ever heard the saying, “you can look at the menu, you just can’t order off of it.” The problem with this statement is, it is utterly false! Eyeing a woman that is not my wife leads to committing adultery in my heart (Matthew 5:28). Your eyes should be only for your wife. Are you protecting your eyes?
- My Ears
- What I allow myself to listen to also sticks in my mind. Are you protecting your ears?
- My Mind
- What I allow to stay in my mind is going to eventually sink into my heart. The question that needs to be asked is, “Am I allowing wrong thoughts about someone else stay in my mind?”
- My Heart
- Once these thoughts reach my heart, they start becoming desires. These desires lead to actions. Are there wrong desires in my heart?
- My Actions
- Actions can bring joy or pain. As you can see, actions are not the root of a problem but a symptom of a greater problem. Both my public and private actions reveal the delight I am taking in my wife. Are there any actions in my life that would disgust my wife?
Husbands, delight in your wife by starting with the right actions while you are with her and away from her. Rights actions, lead to right thoughts, which leads to a right heart for my wife.
My Encouragement for Husbands this week: Start choosing Right Actions both in your public life and your private life.
When it comes to marriage, there are two sides to consider. Next week, we will discuss her side.